What is the Canadian Birkebeiner Ski Festival?
- The premier classic ski festival in Canada. A family-oriented, friendly cross-country ski loppet (recreational event) honouring the spirit of the Norwegian Birkebeiner legend.
- Takes place the second Saturday in February every winter.
- Ski events are held east of Edmonton at Cooking Lake - Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area, the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village and Elk Island National Park.
- Broad appeal and international scope, attracting approximately 2,000 skiers from near and far; the largest classical ski event in Canada.
- Five events and distances – something to suit all ages and abilities: legendary premier 55 km Birkie With Pack, 55 km Birkie Lite, 31 km Tour, 13 km Mini Birkie, and an untimed 2.5 or 4 km Ole’s Tour for kids and novices
Often a few members of the Lakeland Cross Country Ski Club car pool to attend this event. Check out the Birkie website for more details.
Maps are available in our maps section.